The Hilltop Star Online

The Student News Site of Passaic High School

The Hilltop Star Online

The Hilltop Star Online

Seven PHS DECA Members Excel at State Career Development Conference, Advance to Nationals

The State Career Development Conference (SCDC), held at Harrah’s Atlantic City Convention Center from March 4th to 6th, 2024, brought together over 2,500 competitors, including DECA Regional winners from more than 100 high schools across New Jersey. A 20-member team represented PHS at the conference.

Amadis Gonzalez placed 6th in the state for her Innovation Plan introducing the Poilette, a single-use scented toilet seat cover designed for IBS and OAB sufferers. Amadis expressed her gratitude towards her DECA advisors and the transformative experience provided by DECA, stating, “It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, blessing, and opportunity.”

Juniors Miranda Hernandez and Melanie Padilla won awards for their Oasis Community Service campaign, raising over $900 at PHS, contributing to NJ DECA’s statewide donation of $33,000. They will team up in the Elevate Management competition at the International Career Development Conference (ICDC).

Seniors Jordan Harrell and Lenin Severiche earned recognition for their outstanding Promotional Campaigns. They will represent PHS DECA in the ICDC Thrive Leadership competition.

The Hilltop School Store achieved its second School-Based Enterprise Gold Certification. Joshua Burgos Brito and Cindy Leal will represent the store at the national SBE competition.

Reflecting on her experience, Miranda Hernandez stated, “Putting together our marketing campaign for SCDC was such an eye-opener. I’ve learned a lot about what I can do better next year.”

These seven national-level competitors are now gearing up for the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) in Anaheim, California at the end of April.